[Biodevelopers] Proposal for creation of algorithm repository

Malay Kumar Basu curiouser at ccmb.res.in
Wed Mar 12 20:52:41 EST 2003

Hi Jeff and Bill:

Great! The response is really good. I can't agree more. What I have in my
mind is more like a wiki. No one maintains it but everyone does. That's
the best way to implement quality control. I completely agree that
Bioinformatics.org should play a major role in this.

The repository can be just started anytime. There are plenty of code
around. The core algorithms can be easily picked up from GPLed libraries.
For example all the HMM code can be picked up form Sean Eddy's HMMER. All
we need is to clean up the code from the house-keeping stuff, annotate it
and put it in the repository. In the second phase, for the complicated
stuff we might even ask the author to write the code and submit it to
repository. As the code is nothing but the implemented version of the
pseudocode, I don't think they will have any objection.

This sort repository can not not be maintained by one persion and the
whole community should perticipate to make the code more readable.

May be whol knows, someday the journals might require to submit the code
to the repository, before publishing the paper.

Everyone, please come out with suggestion.

Malay