[Biodevelopers] Mapping between various protein indices

Dan Bolser dmb at mrc-dunn.cam.ac.uk
Thu May 27 12:21:03 EDT 2004

Glad I could help :)

The SRS method may be missing coverage because in the example I gave it is
linking explicitly to swissprot,

http://srs.ebi.ac.uk/srsbin/cgi-bin/wgetz?[UNIPARC-refdbi:NP_001102]>SWISSPROT

The following...

http://srs.ebi.ac.uk/srsbin/cgi-bin/wgetz?[UNIPARC-refdbi:NP_493453]>SPTREMBL

Is an example of how to use the explicit 'TREMBL' link. Despite the
name 'SPTREMBL' appears to only lookup TREMBL entries, so you should check
SPTREMBL and SWISSPROT in order to search for a mapping. If you end up
with only a few "un-mappable" entries it might be worth asking someone at
the NCBI/SRS/BBB about those entries.

The last resort is always blast, which is also supported by SeqHound, this
should allow you to find the new GI for a 'retired' GI, which could be the
major cause of missing GI's from the UNIPROT->GI mapping.

http://www.blueprint.org/seqhound/api_help/apifunctsdet.html#SHoundNeighboursFromGi