[Biodevelopers] RE: Biodevelopers Digest, Vol 22, Issue 4

Thompson, William William_Thompson_1 at brown.edu
Fri Jan 19 13:08:12 EST 2007

Hi

The e-value is the number of different alignments with scores equivalent
to or better than the score S, that are expected to occur in a database
search by chance. The lower the E value, the more significant the score.
The particular e-value depends on the size of the database. When you
searched against all genomes, you increased the size of the database and
the score you received from the sequence rat database was no longer
significant. Originally, you expected to get 50 hits that good by chance
in a random database the size of the rat genome. When you search all of
the genomes, even your best hit would be expected to have 360 scores
that good in a random database the size of all the genomes. The hit you
originally got in the rat database was probably beyond the e-value
cutoff for your search.

Bill