[BioEdu] Suggestions for a bioinformatics course

Karthikeyan Sivaraman k.sivan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 08:44:27 EDT 2006

hi sudhindra,

I have taught master's level students in advanced bioinformatics. I found
the book by Dan Gusfield an immensely useful introduction.
It is known as "Strings Sequences and Algorithms" - good one. But as you
progress into the course, it is usually research papers that come in handy.
We should remember that the field as such is still in its infancy when
compared to others like cell or molecular biology and usually referencing
from papers become necessary.
and I go with Bruno's view that in a heterogeneous group, mix the group to
use each of the different skill sets available.

Hope this answers at least a part of what you needed answers for!

cheers,

On 8/9/06, Sudhindra.Gadagkar at notes.udayton.edu <
Sudhindra.Gadagkar at notes.udayton.edu> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> First, thanks to Jeff for this group.  Very timely, for me at least. I am
> a biologist and am teaching an intro bioinformatics course this fall.  The
> students will be a mix of biology, premed and Computer Science students.  I
> have a number of textbooks with me but am really not happy with any of them,
> and so am planning on just giving handouts.  I would like to hear of
> experiences of people who have used any particular book, and also of those
> who have not used any one in particular.  Also (this concept is still
> evolving), to deal with heterogeneity in the backgrounds of my students, I
> am thinking of separate projects that will exploit their respective training
> and keep them interested.  Any suggestions for project topics and/or
> alternative ways of dealing with the heterogeneity?  These would be
> upper-class students (typically seniors).  It is a dual-listed course, and
> so I have grad students as well!
>
> Actually, I hope this email will start a thread of fruitful discussion.
>  Views of students are also most welcome!
>
> Sudhindra Gadagkar

> Sudhindra R. Gadagkar, Ph.D.
> Department of Biology
> University of Dayton
> 300 College Park
> Dayton, OH 45469-2320
>
> Ph: (937) 229-2410
> Fax: (937) 229-2021
> Email: gadagkar at notes.udayton.edu

===================================
To laugh often and much;
To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false
friends;
To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others;
To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch
or a redeemed social condition;
To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.
This is to have succeeded.
                                                R.W.Emerson