[BioEdu] What kind of programming skills should a bioinformatician have?

Erwin Sentausa sentausa at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 24 21:50:29 EDT 2008

Dear everyone,

Hi, my name is Erwin. I would like to know where I can learn some good programming skills for bioinformatics. I have an M.Sc. degree in bioinformatics, and I learned some Perl and Java in my graduate study, but I don’t feel that I have the ability to be a good bioinformatician yet. I came from chemistry background and I did not use any programming in my graduate thesis.

I’d like to pursue a Ph.D. study but I notice that most (or all) of the Ph.D. opportunities in bioinformatics require either “a strong programming background” or “experience in software development”, which I have none. Now I would like to improve my programming skills before applying for a Ph.D. studentship. Do you have any recommendations on what kind of education I should take to do that? Your answers will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Yours,
Erwin