[ghemical-devel] release plans...

Geoff Hutchison hutchisn@chem.northwestern.edu
Tue, 23 Dec 2003 22:19:43 -0600

On Dec 23, 2003, at 3:57 AM, Tommi Hassinen wrote:

> Ok, this can wait; it's not yet ready here and even if it were it
> would be
> completely untested. So I just made the v1.01 source package available.

We have quite significant testing of Open Babel releases, including
regression testing, but I digress.

I would guess that most people would appreciate some of the changes in
1.100.x releases for importing molecules into Open Babel. But it can go
into 1.02 or whatever. When I finish Open Babel 1.100.2, I'd be glad to
make a patch to the ghemical source available. Right now I'm hoping to
defend my Ph.D. around the middle of January, which is keeping me quite
busy right now. :-)

> So, I just made a bugfix-release v1.01. Later once these library
> configuration issues are solved, the v1.50 could rather rapidly become
> v2.00 (it would have more consistent GUI but still be a gnome-1 app).

Since GNOME 2.x can run GNOME-1 apps, this is fine. However, it would
be nice to eventually link up with projects like the GPeriodic folks
who have a nice GNOME widget and GChemPaint, which would enable some
cool links between drawing molecules in GChemPaint and studying them
with Ghemical.

Merry Christmas, Kwansaa, Hannukah and other assorted holidays!

-Geoff