[ghemical-devel] LibGhemical and Cygwin (under JOELib)

Joerg K. Wegner wegnerj@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 14:57:13 +0100

Hi Tommi,

> Some time ago I got interested about "Jmol" molecular viewer/editor, and I
> got an idea about an alternative way how to connect Jmol and libghemical ;
> by creating a CGI "web service" to calculate energies, do geometry
> optimizations etc. The plan is to make a Jmol plugin (which should work
> for other CDK-based programs as well?) that sends requests to this service
> and reads the results back. I does not work yet, but if you are interested
> you should look jmol-developers archives for the last week, there is some
> more about it.
Sounds interesting.
Egon said also that we can/should establish an interface between JOELib
and JMol. Unfortunately i've less time for such things although i would
be REALLY interested.

Nonetheless i would be really interested in such a service, too. And i
surely know some people which would be interested, too !
Furhtermore there exists already some services:
http://www.dkfz-heidelberg.de/spec/mgms/web_award/beitraege2003.php

1. JOELib has no structure editor functionality, so it is not possible
to use it directly for such tasks.
BUT if you will publish the HTTP adress with command line for the CGI
script i would be really interested. I hope it will be possible to
install such a service also for other servers (e.g. our APACHE server).

2. Technical comment: What's about JSP instead of CGI (i'm not familiar
with, but seems to be state-of-the-art) ?
Egon: Are you familiar with JSP ?

Regards, Joerg

--
Dipl. Chem. Joerg K. Wegner
Center of Bioinformatics Tuebingen (ZBIT)