[ghemical-devel] Fullerene calculations

Tommi Hassinen Tommi.Hassinen at uku.fi
Thu Oct 23 04:30:42 EDT 2008

You used molecular mechanics for the calculation, right?

The current molecular mechanics force fields in ghemical
are poor at detecting "resonance"-type effects in molecules
with aromatic nature, like in fullerenes. Currently the aromatic
bonds are just guessed to be like in benzene. This is the reason
for the result you got.

I suggest you should use a QM method to calculate precise
results for fullerenes, instead of molecular mechanics.

Please note that the geometry optimization algorithm itself is
the same for MM and QM calculations, it's just the energy
function that describes the molecule which is different.

Regards,
Tommi