[Molvis-list] Additional questions

Dan Bolser dmb at mrc-dunn.cam.ac.uk
Sat Nov 20 16:35:29 EST 2004

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Trans-Laboratory -- Chemical Analysis Service Provider -- wrote:

>Dear Dan,
>
>Did those slides mentioned below get posted somewhere?  Thank you in
>advance
>
>Ricardo A. Correa C.
>Molecular Biology amateur

Thanks for the reminder Ricardo! I finally submitted the slides in PDF
format (with the original .PPT as the 'source code') to
BioMoleculesAlive.org. I haven't heard anything back from the guys there,
so I assume the slides are still under review. Their were a few delays
caused by teething problems at that site, but hopefully they have all been
worked out and (unless I have to re-write :) the slides will appear
here...

http://www.biomoleculesalive.org/browse/step2_ViewDiscipline.php?strType=Visual&strTypeName=Visual+Resources&strTypeURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.biomoleculesalive.org%2Fbrowse%2Fstep1_visual.php&strDiscipline=fundamental

under the "Fundamental Concepts" category.

I am sure it would be easy for someone to do a better job of the slides I
made (explaining how structural homology can be used to link distantly
related sub-families under the 'superfamily' umbrella), but I did get
quite a good response from the audience.

Submitting to www.BioMoleculesAlive.org was quite painless, and I would do
it again. Given the amount of feedback I got from my original request it
would seem like we could easily flesh out the framework they have put in
place if people start submitting.

All the best,
Dan.

>Cheers!
>
>Dan.
>
>On Sat, 9 Oct 2004, Gabe McCool wrote:
>
>>Dan-
>>
>>Sounds great...looking forward to seeing your slides at some point.
>>Further to Eric Martz's FtsZ suggestion, the presentation at
>>
>>http://www.umass.edu/microbio/chime/pipe/ftsz/present/index.htm
>>
>>tries to point out FtsZ's close structural alignment with tubulin
>>contrasted with the low seq identity (<20%) between aligned FtsZ + tubulin
>aa
>>sequences.   Hope its helpful in some regard.
>>

>>Gabe McCool
>>

>>> From: Eric Martz <emartz at microbio.umass.edu>
>>> Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 17:40:02 -0400
>>> To: <rasmol at lists.umass.edu>
>>> Subject: Re: Slides to demonstrate conservation of protein structure?

>domains.
>>>
>>> One example pointed out to me years ago by Gabe McCool is the
>>> bacterial cell division protein FtsZ. A structure-based search turns
>>> up tubulin, but the sequence identity is only 16% (if I recall).
>>>
>>> This paper by Friedberg, Kaplan and Margalit
>>> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&
>>> dopt=Abst
>>> ract&list_uids=11152139