[Molvis-list] To the moderator (and list admin)

timothy driscoll molvisions at mac.com
Sun Nov 21 17:51:38 EST 2004

On 2004-11-21 (18:28) Dan Bolser wrote:

>I have a few comments, but I am not sure if people would care enough
>to 'vote' on the issue yet...
>
>Email spoofing is rare, so having a subscriber only policy gets rid
>of most spam attacks (which on the whole are opportunist and not
>directed). Mailman on bioinformatics.org should be compatible with a
>spam filter, bouncing suspicious email to the sender automatically,
>and automatically allowing it through on the completion of some
>'human' task.

hi Dan,

I much prefer those lists that require you to respond to an email in
order to confirm your list subscription.  others force you to read a
word embedded in an image (somewhat distorted to prevent bot
subscribing).  not so keen on that.

>In the same vein, it is very simple to configure procmail or the
>like to pickup mail with the word unsubscribe in the header and send
>it to the list admin.

very true - or let the list members handle it.  I have seen some quite
creative and ROTFL responses to such requests - especially when the list
info is at the bottom of every message!  :-)

>I never had a problem with spam on unmoderated lists at bioinfo.org,
>but then again I have hefty spam filters this end. (Please feel free
>to put my email address anywhere you like - I welcome the spam so my
>filter can learn more :) - Besides it could be a good experiment ;)

you must be running a Bayesian filter - SpamSieve, perhaps?  ;-)