[Molvis-list] Jmol is superceding Chime

Annemarie Honegger honegger at bioc.unizh.ch
Mon Dec 6 02:22:56 EST 2004

On Dec 5, 2004, at 8:29 PM, Eric Martz wrote:

> 4. Meanwhile, it is possible to make existing Chime-based tutorials
> work in the CURRENT versions of Mozilla and Netscape 7.x. I am working
> to do this for Protein Explorer in the near future, thanks to hard
> groundwork by Enrique Castro. I or someone else (Enrique?) may get
> around to documenting the tricks for others to use. One trick is that
> since the Chime installer doesn't look for these browsers, you have to
> copy npchime.dll into their plugins directory. This one file was
> sufficient in my limited tests, even tho the Chime installer puts
> several other small files in IE or Netscape 4.

Under MacOS9 and in the Classic Environment of OSX, copying the
Chime-Files from the Plug-In folder of Netscape 4.x to the
Plug-in-Folder of s newer Netscape- or Mozilla Versions will give you a
Chime Plugin that works OK in these Browsers for PDB files, but crashes
when you try to open a MOL file (e.g. if you need to show the locations
of double bonds in a small molecule.  Sites that test for the type of
Browser used (including the Protein Explorer Site) will not let you
access with such a patched Chime installation

							Annemarie

Dr. Annemarie Honegger, Ph.D.
Zürich University, Dept. of Biochemistry
Winterthurerstr.190
CH-8057 Zürich
Switzerland

e-mail: honegger at bioc.unizh.ch