[Molvis-list] Exporting molecular surfaces

timothy driscoll molvisions at mac.com
Wed Jun 8 21:14:24 EDT 2005

On 2005-06-08 (16:44) Bathsheba Grossman wrote:

>Here's a question which may be obvious: I need to make molecular
>surfaces with fine resolution, and export the surfaces as mesh
>files, under Windows.  I've been using the GRASS service, which is
>very nice but makes rather coarse surfaces.
>I see that most viewers are able to compute nice surfaces, and some
>offer control of how fine the triangulation is, which is great, but
>I'm having trouble getting any of them to export the surface.  I
>don't need a 2D picture or rendering, but the actual 3D data as an
>STL, DXF, VRML, or any 3D mesh file format.  Even a .pov or .rib
>file intended for a renderer could work.
>Any advice for a tyro?

assuming that your reference to GRASS means this product:

have you tried GRASP?

if GRASS was actually a typo for GRASP, and you are unhappy with its surfaces, well, I can't help.  I am under the impression that GRASP produces fairly decent surfaces.

I can't help wondering if I have confused everyone by now, or just myself.

Timothy Driscoll
molvisions - see, grasp, learn.
usa:north carolina:raleigh

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science." - Henri Poincare