[Molvis-list] Jmol tutorials now at MolviZ.Org

Eric Martz emartz at microbio.umass.edu
Sat Jul 21 21:21:49 EDT 2007

I have updated my main website,
http://MolviZ.Org, to include Jmol-based
tutorials for the first time. MolviZ.Org features
tutorials (previously all Chime based), but it
has links to all of my molecular visualization projects.

Currently offered in Jmol are tutorials on
hemoglobin, DNA structure, lipid
bilayers/channels, and collagen. The first 3 are
ports from Chime to Jmol kindly done by Angel
Herraez and Frieda Reichsman. Collagen was
authored and ported by Karl Oberholser. Soon we
expect to be able to provide ports of tutorials on antibody and MHC.

Several of these ports use a Jmol Tutorial
Template developed by Tim Driscoll, Frieda
Reichsman, Angel Herráez and myself. I plan to
offer this Template for use by others as soon as
I can complete its documentation. The template
supports "Details" text, initially hidden, that
can be hidden or shown in-line under each
molecular view description. View Collagen to see Details in use.

In addition to the Jmol-based tutorials, two
other cross-platform resources are newly featured at MolviZ.Org.

1) The ConSurf Server colors each amino acid in a
protein by evolutionary conservation,
automatically, and now displays its results in Jmol.

2) Polyview-3D makes it easy to prepare
publication-quality molecular views, or
animations ready to drop into a Powerpoint slide.
The images are generated by PyMol, used by many
crystallographers in their publications. However,
you just fill out a form -- you don't need to learn how to use PyMol.

Chime-based resources are now described as being
phased out, but will remain available as long as they are used.

-Eric

/* - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eric Martz, Professor Emeritus, Dept Microbiology
U Mass, Amherst -- http://www.umass.edu/molvis/martz

Biochem 3D Education Resources http://MolviZ.org
See 3D Molecules, Install Nothing! - http://firstglance.jmol.org
Protein Explorer - 3D Visualization: http://proteinexplorer.org
Workshops: http://workshops.proteinexplorer.org
World Index of Molecular Visualization Resources: http://molvisindex.org
ConSurf - Find Conserved Patches in Proteins: http://consurf.tau.ac.il
Atlas of Macromolecules: http://atlas.proteinexplorer.org
PDB Lite Macromolecule Finder: http://pdblite.org
Molecular Visualization EMail List (molvis-list):