[Pipet Devel] RPM for the local app broker?

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at bc.edu
Fri Apr 9 09:28:13 EDT 1999

Konrad Hinsen wrote:

> > But what if we modified it (it's GPL) to install etc. in the user's directory?
>
> No need to modify anything; RPM can install any file anywhere.

I meant to say that RPM can only install when it is run by root.  If the user
does not have access to the root account, he cannot use RPM to put anything
anywhere, not even in his own directory.

So this is the question: Do we want loci (locuses) to be installed by the user
in the user's directory, or do we want installation to _require_ a root account?

The first case is acceptable for UNIX; anyone can execute programs in their own
account.  But if we use RPM, it would have to be changed to allow this.  BTW,
does Debian allow user installs?

In the second case, we would not have to change RPM.

> And it should work on any Unix system. In fact, the RPM-based Linux
> distributions could be the most difficult cases, because any
> Loci use of RPM would have to be compatible with the general system
> installation!

There probably won't be any conflicts with the Linux installations, but it could
be a "mess" having half of the rpm's be Loci widgets rather than programs.

J.W. Bizzaro                  mailto:bizzaro at bc.edu
Boston College Chemistry      http://www.uml.edu/Dept/Chem/Bizzaro/