[Pipet Devel] RPM and RECOMB99

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at bc.edu
Fri Apr 9 09:38:23 EDT 1999

Thomas.Sicheritz at molbio.uu.se wrote:

> What about debians package manager ? - debian is the only true GNU Linux
> distribution - and the "alien" script can switch between rpm/deb/tar/cpio

I have never used the "DPM".  I have heard that it is better than RPM.  Does
anyone else have thoughts on DPM vs. RPM?

>  > Oh yeah, and we can use the RPM-to-HTML rpmfind database for browsing loci
>  > available on the Web.
> sounds almost like an onliner ...  is it possible to use python for
> perl-like oneliners ?

Have you seen rpm2html?  It's pretty amazing.  I don't know if debian has
something like this:

    http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/

I'd love to use this for Loci.

What would be even nicer, which I have heard of, is a system that uses RPM and
an online database to check if your installation needs to be updated.  It then
gets all the RPMS for you and installs them.

> = RECOMB99
> Now i have finaly managed to get my poster out of the #$#%# printer...
> - in one hour I am catching  plane to the bioinformatics meeting in
> Lyon/france ... how many Loci'ers am I going to see there ?

Not me, I'm sorry to say.  Maybe next year.  How about Konrad or Raynald?

Vive Le France!
Jeff
J.W. Bizzaro                  mailto:bizzaro at bc.edu
Boston College Chemistry      http://www.uml.edu/Dept/Chem/Bizzaro/