[Pipet Devel] Loci meeting?

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at bc.edu
Tue Aug 3 18:48:28 EDT 1999

Gary Van Domselaar wrote:

> I cant see what's stopping us from doing both ;-)

Sure, we'll do both.  I gathered a number of descriptions below (the O'Reilly
one is too soon).  But one thing we'll have to consider about these
non-scientific conferences, is that they cater to businesses that rent exhibit
space.  The bioinformatics conferences will have typical, scientific
poster-sessions, but I'm not so sure about the Linux conferences; we'll have to
look into it further.

* FREENIX is a special track within the USENIX Annual Technical Conference.
USENIX encourages the exchange of information and technologies between the
commercial UNIX products and the free software world as well as among the
various free operating system alternatives. FREENIX is the showcase for the
latest developments and interesting applications in freely redistributable
software. The FREENIX forum includes Apache, FreeBSD, GNOME, GNU, Linux, NetBSD,
OpenBSD, Samba, and more. The FREENIX track attempts to cover the full range of
software which is freely redistributable in source code form and provides
pointers to where the code can be found on the Internet. June 18, 23, 2000, San
Diego, CA.

    http://www.usenix.org/events/usenix2000/cfp/freenix.html

* O'Reilly's Open Source Conference. Date: August 21-24, 1999. Location:
Monterey Conference Center, Monterey, California, USA. Description: Six parallel
Open Source conferences under one roof: The Perl Conference 3.0, plus all-new
conferences for Linux, Apache, Tcl/Tk, Python, and sendmail.

    http://conferences.oreilly.com/

* 3rd Annual Atlanta Linux Showcase. Date: October 12-16, 1999. Location: Cobb
Galleria Centre, Atlanta, Georgia, USA. Description: The 3rd annual Atlanta
Linux Showcase will feature three conference tracks over three days with 40
speakers discussing the technical and business issues concerning the Linux
Operating System. In addition, an exhibition with over 100 vendors, will
showcase the latest industry products for Linux.

    http://www.linuxshowcase.org/

* LinuxWorld Conference & Expo. Date: January 10-13, 2000. Location: Washington
DC Convention Center, Washington, DC, USA. Description: This four-day conference
is designed to help with developing, integrating, and running a business on the
Linux OS. This conference will be a remarkable opportunity for people in a wide
variety of job functions to meet and work together to advance the use of Linux.

    http://www.linuxworldexpo.com/

Buh-bye.
                   |           J.W. Bizzaro             |
                   |      jeff at bioinformatics.org       |