[Pipet Devel] Re: EMBOSS

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at bc.edu
Thu Feb 18 10:49:28 EST 1999

Peter Rice wrote:

> Richard Durbin tells me you thought I had disappeared :-)

Yes, I was beginning to wonder ;-)

> We are busy working on an EMBOSS release. We now have 5 more
> folk working on applications in Hinxton, with more to join soon.

Great.  TULIP/Loci is slowly progressing.  We have 10 people on the list now,
plus we are collaborating with Harry Mangalam of the tacg project:

    http://hornet.bio.uci.edu/~hjm/projects/tacg/tacg2.main.html

Much of our work lately has been innovating a new object management or workflow
system, which is the real meat of the project.  We have drafted the developer of
the Paos project, Carlos Maltzahn:

    http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~carlosm/software.html

We hope TULIP/Loci will be a framework for connecting bioinformatics and
structural biology programs of any type to a central GUI.  And we still think
Loci and EMBOSS can collaborate on this, since our projects are complementary
not competing.

I invite you to subscribe to our mailing list.  Send an e-mail to
majordomo at busboy.sped.ukans.edu with "subscribe tulip-list" in the message body.

I'd like to know if I can subscribe to your "closed" emboss-dev mailing list...?

> I have been very busy with documentation and support for them.
> There is a release 0.0.4 on our FTP server which is a nightly dump
> of the current sources. Watch for changes in the file size to catch
> new versions as it does not change every day.
>
> ftp://ftp.sanger.ac.uk/pub/pmr/emboss/EMBOSS_0.0.4.tar.gz
>
> We will be reviewing the documentation next week before releasing it
> to the rest of the world. It may take a few extra days to patch it up.

We look forward to it.  Have you made any changes to the design since we last
communicated, in December?

J.W. Bizzaro                  Phone: 617-552-3905
Boston College                mailto:bizzaro at bc.edu
Department of Chemistry       http://www.uml.edu/Dept/Chem/Bizzaro/