[Pipet Devel] from Justin

Humberto Ortiz Zuazaga hortiz at neurobio.upr.clu.edu
Mon Jun 14 22:22:21 EDT 1999

> Humberto wrote:
>
> > > Paos could also be modified to use a DOM->XML module rather than pickle
> > > for storage (and even transport).
> >
> > Storage isn't a problem, but I think transport should definitely be in XML
>
> Why?  Isn't Justin talking about a standardized DOM?

I meant xml vs pickling. Paos uses pickling to write data across the
network. I argue that loci should use xml, to enable reading the data
streams with other tools. Again, we probably be storing xml files on
disk as well, in case we want other tools to manipulate the files.

> I'm a bit confused as to
> where we should draw the line between DOM and XML.  I'll take a guess...DOM
> isn't on the filesystem while XML is :-)

As far as I can tell, DOM is a method for representing XML files in
internal storage, and an API for navigating inside the parsed
file. Right?