[Pipet Devel] ORBit

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at bc.edu
Sat Jun 19 00:18:32 EDT 1999

Humberto Ortiz Zuazaga wrote:

> > This came from the GNOME update report.  Apparently, a Python backend to
> > ORBit/CORBA may be just around the corner.  Something to think about.
>
> http://www.python.org/download/Contributed.html#netobjects
>
> Lists a CORBA implementation in python, and two ILU bindings. Can we use these?

Konrad wrote this a while back:

"There are even two CORBA implementations for Python (ILU and FNOrb), but ILU is
huge and difficult to install, and FNOrb has licensing restrictions."

I checked the ILU Web site, and it appears that ILU has almost a freeware-type
license, pretty much like Python's license.  I could not make a connection to
the SYLU Web site to check out its license.  FNOrb is something we considered
earlier, but it has one of those "free for non-commercial use" licenses, which
is not compatible with the GPL and would restrict the commercial use of Loci.

Does ILU seem all that huge to everyone?  I never used it, but it appears to
include all of CORBA, so it must be pretty big.  I'm looking for some opinions
from people who have used ILU.

Should we wait for ORBit bindings or even make the bindings ourselves, if it is
as easy as they say?

BTW, we did at one time think that CORBA would be too difficult for new
developers to pick up.  However, if locus canning is done graphically, most
people won't have to worry about it.  But, on the other hand, translators and
widgets will still be made the old-fashioned way and require the knowledge of
PAOS, CORBA or whatever.

:-)
J.W. Bizzaro                  mailto:bizzaro at bc.edu
Boston College Chemistry      http://www.uml.edu/Dept/Chem/Bizzaro/