[Pipet Devel] Re: Meta-Application Interface: a proposal

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at bc.edu
Thu Jun 17 20:19:07 EDT 1999

Hello Ferdinando.

I think you described The Loci Project to the letter :-)

Loci is an Internet-based system of clients and servers, connected using a
highly graphical user interface.  Starting with a collection of the most basal
components, the user builds a "workflow diagram", connecting icons and lines.
In this manner, Unix command-lines and pipes can be constructed, even across a
network.  The system was designed for computational biology, where command-line
programs are long-running processes and particularly abundant.

Loci is being developed with the python-gnome toolset and makes extensive use of
XML/DOM and (possibly soon) ORBit/CORBA.  It is licensed under the GNU GPL, and
is of course developed via the GNU model.  We have more than one dozen volunteer
developers and about two dozen on the mailing list.  We hope to unify some of
the scattered efforts to develop a free, comprehensive suite of computational
biology applications.

    http://bioinformatics.org/loci/

Jeff
jeff at bioinformatics.org