[Pipet Devel] GST, widgets & figure building

Humberto Ortiz Zuazaga hortiz at neurobio.upr.clu.edu
Thu Jun 24 23:48:37 EDT 1999

>  > That pretty much sums it up.  Except, Viewers are widgets+ that handle
>  > ViewerItems, which are graphical objects, and Figure Builder is one "big" Viewer
>  > running as a separate application.  The user can then copy/paste or drag/drop
>  > multiple graphical objects (ViewerItems) onto the FB.  This allows the user to
>  > choose only the Loci-generated figures they want for an illustration.  What were
>  > you thinking of?  Is there anything wrong with this approach?
>
> That's what I was thinking as well. I guess the issue is how do we go
> about implementing this.

Ah, but now I think the implementation is actually doable. Look at
this qute from the World DOMination white paper:

http://www.gnome.org/white-papers/DOM/domination.html

     Individual renderers take a fragment of the document tree as an
     argument, and return a DOMination Rendering object, which contains
     size info and a Gnome Canvas item. The renderer also installs event
     listeners at this time, so that when the fragment changes, the
     Canvas item and size info automatically get updated.

Does this sound like a viewer locus to you?

The only trick left is to think of the Workplace and the figbuilder as
two different views into the same object, let's call it an experiment
DOM tree.  Figbuilder asks for all final figure fragments and calls
viewers to produce figure canvas objects for display, and the
workspace calls all loci and asks them to render their control boxes
and editor widgets.

The trick is we can do all this (and more) by just slightly enhancing
gdome and adding python wrappers.