[Pipet Devel] some confusion

Carlos Maltzahn carlosm at moet.cs.colorado.edu
Mon Mar 1 19:11:19 EST 1999

    [J.W. Bizzaro]
    As far as the details of network communication is concerned, Paos
    will be more heavily involved in this than I originally planned
    and should handle all the networking for us.  I expect networked
    communication between tools to be almost identical to
    communication between tools on the same computer.

Except the transfer of XML from tool to tool.

It might make sense to make a distinction between streamed tool input and
input files. If a tool has to have access to the entire result of the
previous tool before it can do anything useful and the tool runs on a host
that shares the same NFS with the host of the previous tool, it doesn't
make sense to transfer any data: all the tool needs is a pointer to a file
that contains the result of the previous tool.

On the other hand, if the tool is able to process a stream of data, the
entire process can be pipelined which saves a lot of time.

Carlos