[Pipet Devel] new server up

Konrad Hinsen hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr
Fri Mar 19 04:09:38 EST 1999

> Konrad -- I know French crypto laws are sort of fascist but is there any
> way to use something similar to ssh?  Or alternatively could we set up a

I don't know for sure, but in principle anything using cryptography
is not allowed. I have seen the opinion that using ssh for password
protection is OK as long as the following session is not encrypted;
I think this was deduced by analogy to e-mail encryption, which is
allowed for signatures but not for encrypting content.

To make things worse, I work for a French government institution,
so our system administrators won't tolerate anything which looks
just the slightest bit illegal.

On the other hand, if I am the only one in France (and it seems so at
the moment), then don't worry. I can always go through my account on
Starship Python, and use ssh from there.

Konrad.
Konrad Hinsen                            | E-Mail: hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr