[Pipet Devel] an interesting thought

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at bc.edu
Sat Mar 27 21:03:36 EST 1999

Justin Bradford wrote:

> > So each locus would be the same: just a shell that can process our XML
> > (workflow + bio + GUI) and make an application on the fly.
> >
> > Any thoughts?  What would be the advantages and disadvantages?
>
> The only problem I see is one of speed. However, if we had widgets along
> the lines of render_3d_molecule, etc, it could work.

Yes, I was thinking about making high-level widgets (bindings to C-GTK
concoctions).  In fact, I have always considered Loci to be a "library" of
high-level biowidgets.

But I would make the basic widgets available too, probably through the
Python-GTK bindings.

I don't think it would be all that slow.  The tools/loci will be in Python
anyway.  As Python works, modules are "imported" from other files.  The script
would be in the LocusML like this:

<guiscript>
#!/usr/bin/env python

import sys