[Pipet Devel] check out gnome-control

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at bc.edu
Wed May 5 15:55:26 EDT 1999

Locians,

Attached is a screenshot of my desktop with the gnome-control-center running.
This program and gnome-linuxconf use a system that I think Loci can imitate.

If you had the opportunity to set GNOME up on your system, go check them out.
On the right side of the window there is a panel that can take on various GUI's,
which can be changed on the fly.

I have a tour of the Loci model (no text):

    http://bioinformatics.org/loci/tour/index.html

If we use the control-center/linuxconf model, "Slides" can be in the left panel
while "Instrument Panels" can be on the right.  The "Benchtop" can be on the
left while format conversion utilities (not pictured) can be on the right.  The
"Stage" can be on the left panel while it drawing tools (not pictured) can be on
the right.  So altogether we'll have 3 types of windows, but the neat part is
they can all be the program/applet; we just need an OpenGL canvas on the left
and a widget panel on the right.

Whaddaya think?

Cheers,
J.W. Bizzaro                  mailto:bizzaro at bc.edu