[Pipet Devel] gnome/gtk+ application development manual

Alan J. Williams Alan at MolBio.org
Tue Oct 5 00:03:04 EDT 1999

Gary Van Domselaar <gvd at redpoll.pharmacy.ualberta.ca> wrote:
>  I found this on the gnome developer site. I don't remember seeing it on
>  the mailing list:
>
>  http://developer.gnome.org/doc/GGAD/
>
>  Its the official gnome programming manual, and its free! Joy!

I got this book a week or so ago and just finished skimming the whole
thing.  My recommendation for any newbies out there is to go through the
gtk tutorial (http://www.gtk.org/tutorial/) and then the gnome tutorial
(http://www-4.ibm.com/software/developer/library/gnome-programming/index.html
and http://developer.gnome.org/doc/tutorials/gnome-libs/).  This should
give you a pretty good foundation and even though it is all from a C
perspectiv, it should help in getting started with other bindings (such as
python :)

>From there you may want to get Havoc Pennington's book (which Gary brought
up) at http://developer.gnome.org/doc/GGAD/. There is another book
(Developing Linux Applications with GTK+ and GDK - by Eric Harlow) but I
found it to be disappointing. Your better off with the GTK+ tutorial and
Havoc's book.

And of course check out http://developer.gnome.org/doc/ for all sorts of
other docs. http://developer.gnome.org/news/ is also good for keeping up
with gnome development via the "Summaries".

Happy Hacking,

-Alan

Alan Williams                      Where observation is concerned,
Alan at MolBio.org                    chance favors the prepared mind.
http://www.MolBio.org/cv/                         -- Louis Pasteur