[Pipet Devel] SV: [Pipet Devel] abstract

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at bc.edu
Tue Sep 7 13:47:40 EDT 1999

Svanberg Liss wrote:

> If you are using CORBA connections, you need not to worry about such things.
> At least ORBit uses local domain sockets ( == mem mapped ) if both end
> connections reside on the same machine. :)
> I think mico does this too, but I'm not sure.

Right, I have been forgetting that CORBA manages networking.

Maybe the abstract should read, "...joined by lines that dipict CORBA
connections" ?

> Has anybody been checking out some multicast technlogy that could be useful
> to loci?
> Since loci should be general - purpose and network wide, you might end up at
> least sometime with a large number of loci that works with the same data.

Hmmm...

> Using TCP/IP in such an application would be very inefficient.
> And unfortunately, the CORBA standard does not support multicasting. It
> would at least be very hard to inplement it. :(

There are a number of issues that are specific to large datasets like those in
bioinformatics.  We just haven't worked them all out yet.  I'm going to leave it
to you guys to recommend what you think is best.

                         |        J.W. Bizzaro        |
                         |  jeff at bioinformatics.org   |
                         |        THE OPEN LAB        |
                         | Open Source Bioinformatics |