[Pipet Devel] Mesquite

Rick Ree rree at oeb.harvard.edu
Tue Apr 25 11:41:45 EDT 2000

I've also tried Mesquite.  IMHO Java is just not all it's cracked up to be
for GUI's, at least on Linux: it just feels sluggish, klunky widgets, and
so on (I think Mesquite uses AWT and not Swing, though).  Has anyone ever
come across a non-trivial Java app where the GUI feels right?  I'd be
interested to know.

Also, while the Maddisons have expressed some interest in open source
(I've asked them about it a couple of times), from what I can tell the
Mesquite environment is pretty closed and restricted, and wedded to Java
(no CORBA, etc).  IMHO it's too bad the core libraries are in Java and not
C (meaning no nice PyGTK interface ;)

In summary, I think Mesquite was a good idea, but it's not something I
see myself using in the future -- unlike Loci, which has the potential to
be an excellent phylogenetic analysis backbone.

Rick