[Pipet Devel] Access levels in VSH

Brad Chapman chapmanb at arches.uga.edu
Tue Apr 4 18:32:32 EDT 2000

Jeff wrote:
> I haven't thought about this at all.  I'm not a security expert, but
wouldn't
> 'passable access/authentication' be opening up a pandora's box?
You'll never
> know who has access to your system.
>
> I think another thing to consider is whether or not a mere user can
grant
> access.  Perhaps only the system administrator should be allowed to
do this.
> This is the opposite extreme of Jarl's proposal.  Thoughts?

It seems like Jarl is proposing a system like they implement (I think)
in the MySQL database (and I guess in many other situations as well).
The initial user (whoever is the system admin or whatever) gets root
access to the database, and can thus do whatever they want, including
using any databases and tables they want and assigning new users. Now,
when a new user get assigned, they can be assigned with permissions to
use certain databases and permission (or not) to authorize new users.
I dig this scheme :-)
    I think you both described another system as well, in which only
the root user can authorize new access. I don't think we need
something this strict since the first system I described can be this
strict (if the system admin wants it).
    So to kind of bring these two ideas together for vsh, whoever sets
up vsh has a 'root' login that they can use to start up a dl. They can
then use this login to assign new logins to users, and can pick
optional permissions, including restricting access to only certain
nodes (or other data) and allowing or disallowing creation of new
users. Now these users can create new users, but don't have the option
of passing on the ability to create to these subsequent users (this
prevents the Pandora's box problem Jeff mentioned).
    What do you all think? How would the implementation for this be?
Difficult?

Brad