[Pipet Devel] summary for web

jarl van katwijk jarl at casema.net
Wed Apr 5 13:09:14 EDT 2000

> Hmmm.  Well, Brad says here that it is your idea to have the DL manage
> authentication between instances:
>
> Brad wrote:
> > was based on my attempts (probably failed) to learn about methods
> > for implementing distributed systems based on Jarl's suggestion that
> > all remote note authentication should occur in the definition layer.
>
> Shouldn't the layer that manages authentication also manage communication?

Yes.
But about 'my suggestion', I think we got a misunderstanding here, Brad and I have
had some discussion about this, and I talked about a bl->dl corba interface,
(we currently are doing the dl->bl).

Seems I have to read Brads mail better: he was talking about :
"a. All authentication between remote vsh implementations occurs in one
layer, the definition layer (this is the point that Jarl made)."

This should not be the case. Otherwise there's no point in DL's loggin into the BL.

BUT: brad's concern about the lost of speed due to stalling during network
communication
is someting to think about, but surtainly wont be a big problem when we'll use the
right
network libraries.

Brad: maybe this is worth another irc session? :)
If you want to code this network stuff, be my guest, it doesn't exsist at all yet..

bye,
jarl