[Pipet Devel] summary for web

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at geoserve.net
Wed Apr 5 10:24:31 EDT 2000

Brad Chapman wrote:

>     It seemed to me the plan is pretty controversial since it proposes
> that all remote communication occur through the definition layer (the
> middle scripting layer) and not at the level of node processing. It
> was based on my attempts (probably failed) to learn about methods
> for implementing distributed systems based on Jarl's suggestion that
> all remote note authentication should occur in the definition layer.
> The proposal is basically derived from some systems I read about where
> the corba/distributed layer was implemented separately from the layers
> that do the actual work (the processing layer in our case). I tried to
> adapt it to the vsh setup.

I thought communication (between cores) would occur in the brokering layer.
This is what GMS was going to handle, right?  If communication occurs through
the Python-based definitions layer, what is the broker layer used for?  It
must be used for more than communicating with Overflow (processing layer).

>     In addition, since this system would probably require a
> multithreaded server in the definition layer (to deal with possibly
> simultaneous communication with the processing layer and multiple
> remote implementations), this proposal led me to worry about using
> ORBit for all our communication.

As an aside, we will eventually need a multithreaded connection between the DL
and the front ends.

                      |        BIOINFORMATICS.ORG        |
                      |           The Open Lab           |