[Pipet Devel] summary for web

Brad Chapman chapmanb at arches.uga.edu
Fri Apr 7 07:16:20 EDT 2000

Jeff wrote:
> Then the DL really does 2 things: (1) communicates between front and
BL, and
> (2) communicates between different instances of BLs across the
Internet.
> Correct?
>
> Should the DL be split into 2 parts then?

What do you mean by this? My plan was that the dl should be split into
two parts programmatically (ie. two different servers with APIs). I
think the two different objects will need to interoperate quite a bit,
and haven't though about separating them formally with corba or
something.

> Better support for multithreading is something the ORBit developers
are
> working on?

You're asking me about gnome development? :-) I looked through the
gnome-devel archives and didn't seem much mention of orbit development
(there is an orbit list but I couldn't find an archive for it). From
my rough estimation, it seems like orbit isn't under continual
development by anyone, but is enhanced when a general need for
enhancement arises in gnome. Threading issues are on the out of date
(the developers' words, not mine) todo list in cvs, but I have no
concept of when this might be addressed (probably as soon as someone
wants it bad enough to hack on it). I don't see any mention of
implementing a trading service, and I kind of doubt this is on many
people's mind since I think this is what gnorba and bonobo are meant
to do. But I'm just guessing at all this. If anyone knows better, I'd
love to hear it.

Brad