[Pipet Devel] thoughts on UI->DL communication

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at geoserve.net
Tue Apr 11 16:26:38 EDT 2000

jarl van katwijk wrote:

> -Make the dl be a 'wrapper' for UI's, not an extension.
> I'm saying this: let the DL make programming new UI's easy.

So, how would the DL 'wrap' a UI?  Isn't this the same as making the UI a
library?

> Various scripting and new GUI can be developped fast that way. I dont know WHAT
>  the DL should be doing, that's probably a question that Brad can answer best,
> but
> programming the BL corba and implementing the DL api every time again when
> somebody makes an UI\DL (read: single application) seems like a dull thing to do.

But which is easier: making the DL in C and making language bindings to the
DL, or making a new corba idl?

> About (4), we'll only need 2 authentication systems, the UI wont log into the DL,

The original Loci plan was to have a UI log into the 'Middle'.  I think both
Brad and I were expecting this to happen in VSH between UI and DL.

> >     (2) Other UI's would have to be made in Python.
>
> They have to? There's no way the DL code can be compiled as binairy??
> (Python -> C -> binairy)

I was suggesting to pull out Brad's upper teeth.  Now you're suggesting to
pull out his lower teeth ;-)

Making the DL in C is an option, and one I did not think of.

                      |        BIOINFORMATICS.ORG        |
                      |           The Open Lab           |