[Pipet Devel] License

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at geoserve.net
Mon Apr 17 18:42:20 EDT 2000

Jean-Marc Valin wrote:

> LGPL is OK for me. Though I propose the same license modification as in Linux:
> allow linking with closed-source binaries.
> Anyone thinks this is bad?

That's fine with me.  I like everything about the GPL, except for the
restriction on linking to/from closed-source binaries.  That's why I prefer
the LGPL.

> Overflow can use foreign nodes and
> types compiled in a shared library. This is forbidden by the (L)GPL, unless it
> is explicitly allowed, as for the Linux kernel (which allow closed-source
> drivers).

I thought the Linux kernel was GPL, not LGPL.

The LGPL already provides an exception for linking to/from closed-source
binaries.  Can you post the passage in the LGPL or GPL where you have to
'explicitly allow' closed-source linking?

                      |        BIOINFORMATICS.ORG        |
                      |           The Open Lab           |