[Pipet Devel] XML database woes

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at geoserve.net
Wed Jan 5 21:36:21 EST 2000

Tim Triche!  I was wondering if it was you.  Boy, long time no read :-)

"Tim (not representing his employer's opinions)" wrote:

> > XDBM is another.  It was mentioned here a few months back and then again by
> > Tim.  Unfortunately, it has the wacky QPL license: End users can run it for
> > free, but developers have to pay $300-500 per developer, per year.
>
> This is not true.  Look carefully at the license; if you are writing
> Free software compliant with their definition, then you only need pay
> these fees in the event you want paid support.

Okay, here's the part in question:

The fee charged for such uses of the work is:

        Number of Programmers        Fee per programmer per annum

                1                       US$500
                2-3                     US$450
                4-6                     US$400
                7-9                     US$350
                10+                     US$300

        (Australians add ten percent pro rata GST)

This fee also entitles the licensee to free email support and customised
enhancements to this work from Bowerbird Computing for the duration
of the license.

The phrase 'This fee also entitles the licensee to...' implies that the fee is
not strictly _for_ the purpose of support.  The word 'also' makes the sentence
read as if the fee is initially for something else...'THEN you can ALSO get
free e-mail support...'

Here is the link:

    http://www.bowerbird.com.au/licensing.shtml

> Incidentally, I have been dead to the world for some time now (having
> switched jobs, etc.) but might have something to contribute in the near
> future (eg. this spring).  The original Codon was a hack of tacg and I
> stumbled trying to make it worthwhile in any other capacity; however it
> seems that the smart people at JPL (whom my father is now working with)

Jet Propulsion Lab?

> may provide me with some ideas for how to implement the features that
> working biologists said were important to them (eg. "smart" handling of
> ambiguity in chromatograms, etc.).  We'll see.  I realized while reading
> today's discussions that I might as well suck it up and admit that I
> haven't had much to contribute over the last year, and get on with
> participating.

Eh, don't worry about it.  We're happy to have you help in any capacity and at
any time.

Have you seen the TODO list?  Anything there appeal to you?  BTW, I'll be
updating it shortly to include 'figure building loci', security and chat,
stuff that I forgot to add last time.

                      |           THE OPEN LAB           |
                      |    Open Source Bioinformatics    |