[Pipet Devel] Change in xml DOM implementations

Brad Chapman chapmanb at arches.uga.edu
Fri Jan 28 13:34:39 EST 2000

Hey all!
	I just got the following from the XML-SIG (special interest group):

* The current PyDOM code will be dropped and replaced with 4DOM.
      The precise details of how this will work are still to be
      resolved; will the 4DOM code move into xml.dom, or will xml.dom
      import from xml.Ft.dom and provide some wrappers?

This came, crazily enough, just as I was looking at the latest 4DOM release.
4DOM is a python Document Object Model implementation for messing around
with XML files and is distributed by 4Thought. The code and install
instructions are located at http://fourthought.com/4Suite/4DOM/.
 	I think I'm just going to go ahead and switch the DOM code in loci
over to use the 4DOM stuff so I can learn how to use it, unless anyone
seriously objects to this. I doubt if it will be a big deal to make the
necessary changes necessary to fix things once 4DOM moves into the PyXML
package--it sounds like there will just be a few import changes.
	BTW, although I know nothing about licensing, I don't think there
should be any problems with the 4DOM license. The whole thing is pasted in
below for anyone who cares to look.
	That's all the news that's fit to print on the xml front...

Brad

4DOM License/Copyright (this makes it look like my e-mail is copyrighted by
FourThought!)

Copyright (c) 1999 FourThought LLC, USA

                        All Rights Reserved

Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted,
provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that
both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in
supporting documentation, and that the name of FourThought LLC not be
used in advertising or publicity pertaining to distribution of the
software without specific, written prior permission.

FOURTHOUGHT LLC DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE,
INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS,
IN NO EVENT SHALL FOURTHOUGHT BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR
CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF
USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE
OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE
USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.