[Pipet Devel] excerpt from CHANGES

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at geoserve.net
Sun Jan 30 09:50:29 EST 2000

Brad,

> Big problem here: the internal widgets of a workspace don't always redraw,
> which can leave things looking ugly--need to find a way to fix this.

There is a Gtk or Gdk function to force a widget to redraw.  I can't recall it
off-hand.  BTW, we've always had this problem with the windowlet not catching
_windowlet_ events but workspace events.  It seems the event box and windowlet
positions are not always the same.  Any ideas?

> * Tried to fix the problems with scrolling, so that you no longer lose
> the loci off the screen. Now the scrollbars and workspace size
> automatically increase when a loci is moved toward the bottom or the
> right. The loci is stopped from moving when it attempts to go to the top
> or left of the screen.

Great!  That was one of the things I've been wanting to do.

> Problem here: As a loci moves around there seems to begin to be a
> discrepency between the world_x and world_y and its actual coordinates on
> the screen. I think this is due to the fact that canvas coordinates are
> integers, and world coordinates are doubles. Need to think of a way to
> remedy this problem.

I noticed the mouse cursor 'slips away' from the locus too.

> Also, need to find a way to make the screen scroll automagically when the
> widget is moved.

It looks like the workspace starts to scroll but then stops.

> 1/26/00 Brad
> * Started working on a better way to build the command line. Now, when a
> program is selected from a processor, its GUI changes to a new workspace,
> and a processor is added to the workspace. This processor will soon contain
> a widget that will help them construct the command line within the new
> workspace window.

Hmmm.  Is the windowlet that looks like a control-panel meant to _help_ the
user select loci used in command-line construction, or is it used to actually
construct the command-line?

Also, you have it work this way:

  (1) Select processor

  (2) Open processor and
      find command

  (3) Choose command and
      processor becomes
      composite

  (4) Command is inside
      of composite

_Please_ make a these changes <:-)

  (1) Select processor        --->  (1) Select container

  (2) Open processor and      --->  (2) Open container
      find command                      and find command

  (3) Choose command and      --->  (3) Choose command by dragging
      processor becomes                 it onto the workspace
      composite

  (4) Command is inside       --->  (4) Command is on workspace
      of composite

This is pretty much what we've been discussing.

                      |           THE OPEN LAB           |
                      |    Open Source Bioinformatics    |