[Pipet Devel] GConf, Loci, pickles, etc.

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at hermes.usherb.ca
Fri Jun 9 17:33:49 EDT 2000

> > Well, for C++, there's the STL (Standart Template Library) which is now part of
> > the new ANSI standard.
> Good to hear, is this STL also garateed to be portable like glib is? (one of the main reseason
> for glibs exsistance is portability).

I'd say that the STL is *more* portable than glib. The STL is to C++ what libc
is to C. The STL is part of the C++ standard.

> Yes, besides portability glib provides lists\trees\memory management and many
> other enhancements of the kinda old C library.

The STL also provides lists, trees and memory management. Additionnaly, it's
easy to have a "smart pointer" (using reference counting) class. Also, with
templates, it's easy to declare things like a "list of maps from string to int"
(list<map<string,int> >).

That being said, I'm not the one who decides whether or not to switch to C++ and
the STL. However, I *think* the switch from glib to the STL would be that hard
to do (assuming everybody knows C++).

Jean-Marc Valin
Universite de Sherbrooke - Genie Electrique
valj01 at gel.usherb.ca