[Pipet Devel] GConf, Loci, pickles, etc.

jarl van katwijk jarl at casema.net
Sat Jun 10 05:59:37 EDT 2000

> The STL also provides lists, trees and memory management. Additionnaly, it's
> easy to have a "smart pointer" (using reference counting) class. Also, with
> templates, it's easy to declare things like a "list of maps from string to int"
> (list<map<string,int> >).

Sounds nice this lib. Even nicer that it is part of the ansi std. In C world there's still a
obscure piece of software needed :-)

> That being said, I'm not the one who decides whether or not to switch to C++ and
> the STL. However, I *think* the switch from glib to the STL would be that hard
> to do (assuming everybody knows C++).

"Would NOT be that hard if ..." ?

One thing I'm not quite clear about: why is the issue 'switch to C++' a discussion? For the BL
there's no problem, we'll just link both the BL and PL at binary level. (In human terms, I will
compile the BL sources slightly different and the results can simply be combined to one
executable).  Actually calling C++ functions is somewhat limited, but besides this I see no reason
enough to spend so much work in conversion.

I tried to compile Overflow on OpenBSD, but got this during configuring. Jean Mark, maybe you could
gimme a hint?
-----
configure:1976: checking for c++
configure:2008: checking whether the C++ compiler (c++   ) works
configure:2024: c++ -o conftest    conftest.C  1>&5
In file included from configure:2019:
confdefs.h:2: invalid macro name `1'
configure: failed program was:

#line 2019 "configure"