[Pipet Devel] GConf, Loci, pickles, etc.

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at hermes.usherb.ca
Sat Jun 10 02:44:57 EDT 2000

> Seriously, one consideration is the reduction of dependencies (C/glib vs.
> C++/STL) and the sharing of libraries.  And I guess that since you need to
> make many changes anyway, now might be the best time for a switch.
> But, it's your baby.  I promise you, I won't pressure you anymore........today
> ;-)

I strongly suggest at least a 1st degree change to C++. By that I simply mean
changing all the extensions from .c to .cc and using the C++ compiler. The
advantage of this is: no problem linking with C++ stuff (which can be tricky
from C). Now, whether or not to make the switch from glib to the STL is another
question. However, I can say that once you've started using the STL, you never
want to go back. It's so simple and intuitive to use. For example, you can use a
"string" type as if it were an int, with all the operators and never caring
about deleting pointers, ...

Jean-Marc Valin
Universite de Sherbrooke - Genie Electrique
valj01 at gel.usherb.ca