[Pipet Devel] IRC log on XML design/Overflow inclusion in Piper

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at hermes.usherb.ca
Mon Jun 12 02:13:24 EDT 2000

> I'm talking about anchoring the text at half the span of the I/O line.  See
> the attached mockup.
>
> A fundamental difference between our GUI's is in the use of I/O lines.  In
> Loci's GUI, the lines come with and stay attached to the node.  So, line names
> would tend to get moved around a bit and obstructed by other things.  I think
> anchoring the name half-way down the line may work best.
>
> But, if I show the names only when the lines are unconnected (as Overflow
> does), I could probably put the name under the dot at the end of the line
> (something like what is already done with the node itself).  Hmmm.

Here are examples of real networks I use. The first has 17 nodes, but I have
some with around 50 nodes. I find the vflow layout a bit easier to follow (If I
extrapolate from your mockup, the MAIN_LOOP and NNetSetTrainDBD nodes would be a
real mess). It isn't as pretty as Loci, but maybe we can find something in the
middle. Of course, my screenshots also prove that spaghetti code is still
possible with Overflow/Piper :-)

	Jean-Marc

--
Jean-Marc Valin
Universite de Sherbrooke - Genie Electrique
valj01 at gel.usherb.ca