[Pipet Devel] directory structure

Brad Chapman chapmanb at arches.uga.edu
Thu Jun 15 10:52:32 EDT 2000

> Correct?  (That's not the question.)

Right! Okay, talk to you later. Oh wait, that wasn't the question :-)
> But, what if we have modules common to all UI's.  There should
probably then
> be a
>    piper/uil/modules
> directory in the INSTALLATION directory, right?  (not the question

Well, even though this isn't the question either, I'll answer it
anyways :-). I don't really see that there will be a need to share
modules between uils. In the first place, hopefully too many more
people aren't going to write uils in python (so that we can
demonstrate that other languages work). Secondly, if there is a lot of
share functionality between uils, then it should go in the dl, right?
Common modules is just kind of inviting a mess, IMO, especially when
people are installing just one UI (how many people besides developers
are going to have multiple ones).
    Where do you see the need for such common modules?

> So (here it is), should there be a
>    piper/uil
> directory in the PACKAGE directory?
> I'm getting ready to put it in CVS, and I just wanted to ask this

The reason I decided to have each different uil (peep or pied or
whatever else there will be) in the top level directory if because of
the reason you mentioned earlier, about having uil modules be separate
in cvs from the main piper distribution. That way, if a user wants
Pied and it is not included in the main distribution, the only have to
get the Pied tarball and stick it in the main directory of piper, and
then run configure with the option --with-pied. On the other hand, if
pied also depends on this shared modules, and they don't have that
installed yet, then they need to get that also, and whatever, it just
seems like a bigger pain to deal with.
    Does this make sense? Whadda you think? Is this way okay?