[Pipet Devel] hierarchy (was: icons)

Brad Chapman chapmanb at arches.uga.edu
Sat Jun 24 04:45:08 EDT 2000

Jeff wrote:
> So, we can nix the whole concept of any real "BL network".

Okay dokee. It seems like this was kind of confusing terminology
anyways. Maybe we should refer to remote stuff with the same
terminology as local stuff, just with the word "remote" prepended to
it? So we would have a "remote network" or a "remote node."

> The BL network that I mentioned before is/was a "collection of nodes
where
> each node is an instance of the BL (or Piper) located on a
different, remote
> computer".  This means the nodes communicate via BL -> BL
connection.  It
> seems though, looking again at your whitepaper, that a BL -> BL
connection is
> supposed to be a BL -> DL -> DL -> BL connection.
>
> Brad, can you  explain why the BL's can't/shouldn't communicate
directly, but
> instead should communicate back through the Build-Time Subsystem and
the DL?

I guess the idea to start with was that users wouldn't be creating
workspaces like:

Local Node -> Remote Node -> Local Node -> Remote Node

ie. workspaces where there is a lot of switching between local and
remote nodes. But rather, they would create networks all of which ran
at a remote location. Thinking about it this way, the DL to DL
communication was supposed to make more sense because it kept all of
remote authentication and communication in a single layer.
    I think Jarl's point on this was that it was "good enough" to
start with. Right now we are supposed to be focusing on a local
implementation of Piper, though, so I think as long as we agree that
remote and local nodes should be dealt with the same in the user
interface (which I agree with) we are probably still good enough to
move forward. Then we can come back to the whole remote communication
thing when we can actually implement different ideas and try them out.

> Actually, I never thought the BL would tell the PL how to execute
its own
> workflow.  It seems Jarl agrees that Overflow's "pull" method is
very good.
> thought that the BL would manage PL network -> remote PL network
> communication, directly, with a remote BL.

Okay, when I was talking about this I was only talking about the fact
that thinking about things as a "pull" was nicer than thinking about a
"push" mentality. However, I don't think the current pull system the
PL has will be sufficient for dealing with a network that is
remotely distributed. The reason is that all it does is keep calling
getOutput() on the input nodes for a given node. If you strictly stick
with this way of doing things, then you'll get stuck on a long running
node (while it is calculating it's getOutput()) and not be able to
distribute two long running processes on different machines. This is
why I thought the BL would be primarily responsible for breaking up
the wfd into pieces that the PL would calculate via the getOutput() in
some kind of fashion, and then would assemble these pieces back
together.

> I'm not sure how genetic algorithms in the BL will improve the
execution of
> networks, when most of that responsibility lies with the PL.  Remote
(BL)
> connections will be less common.  In any case, I think the PL and
the BL need
> to use the same approach for executing networks.  And, it seems like
Jarl
> likes the pull approach.

The idea behind the genetic algorithms stuff is that it is just a
smarter way to execute a work flow diagram so that remote processes
will run simultaneously and the whole processing thing will be done
faster. Right now, the PL is responsible for having a way to wrap
programs and a simple "pull" methodology for piping information
between nodes. Since Jarl has a lot of good ideas about making a
smarter system, this is kind of "in addition" to what already exists
in the PL. Having a smart system that can manage simultaneously
running programs on different systems is very important to me, and I
think that these are the kind of things Jarl is interested in working
on. This is *a lot* of functionality to be implemented. Hopefully Jarl
will step in and smack me upside the head if I am misrepresenting what
he wants to do.

> Perhaps we should take a look at direct BL -> BL communication (keep
> execution
> in the RTS).  From what Jarl has said, it seems the BL is very
capable of
> doing that.

Sure, if Jarl thinks this is better, then maybe we should look at
this. If we want to have all of the remote authentication occur at the
level of the definition layer, then the definition layer can be
responsible for fetching object references for remote nodes, and then
the BL can do all of the calling directly. At any rate, I am for
leaving this thread for the time being and focus on local stuff in our
coding and discussions right now.

> You know we already trimmed a lot of functionality out of the BL
[..snip...]
> what's the purpose of the BL???

I don't think it is very productive to be looking at things as "we
should give the BL something to do because it doesn't do anything":

1. The BL is *very important*, IMO, because of all the things
mentioned above. I really want the kind of functionality that Jarl was
talking about for GMS, and I think this can be worked in with how
Overflow works now. How we handle remote requests should be determined
by where it makes the most sense (and we'll figure that out later).

2. Questioning the purpose of other people's code in Piper is a very
good way to get people disillusioned about coding on Piper. When we
were going through that endlessly long thread about "what is the
puprose of the DL?," I know that I was very close to wanting to quit
from sheer frustration. Now we are going through the exact same thing
with the BL--suggesting Jarl code in a different language, trying to
micromanage what libraries he uses, saying that the BL isn't
important, blah, blah, blah. Since I think this sucks really hard, can
I suggest that we cut it out? This is a very unproductive way to talk
about things. The BL and Jarl's contributions to Piper are extremely
important, and we should never have to question this. Please, let's
keep things positively focused. Positive energy.

    I think in general we are probably not ready for this whole thread
yet. When we were talking a while back about security stuff, I
remember Jarl suggesting that we stick with a simple local
communication model to start with, and then add onto this. I like this
idea and think we should work towards it and not worry about
remote communication until we are done with this. Another 2 bits for
you all.

Brad