[Pipet Devel] GMS

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at geoserve.net
Mon Mar 13 14:07:52 EST 2000

Jarl van Katwijk wrote:

> Sounds promising.. I'll try to understand the Loci sourcecode this
> evening, after which we (I?) can try some kinda merge 'pilot' to
> get a clear picture about the problems of a loci-gms marriage. I've
> been doing professional porting last 2 years.. so I'll be able to
> see any problem quite quickly,

Jarl, right now Loci uses a data stream and XML tags to send messages between
GUI and core (an XML RPC of a sort).  This is my own personal design decision,
and it is very much incompatible with CORBA.  But, we have really only begun
to implement this API.  As Brad mentioned, we are trying to separate GUI from
core.  This is the immediate result of developing a functional API and is an
indication that we aren't married to it.

In short, I talked to Brad, and we're both willing to switch to whatever CORBA
interface GMS requires.

> though I've never used Python myself ;)

Once you try it, you'll like it.  It's a very well designed language, as I'm
sure you have heard.

                      |        BIOINFORMATICS.ORG        |
                      |           The Open Lab           |