[Pipet Devel] GMS

Jarl van Katwijk jarl at casema.net
Mon Mar 13 11:10:23 EST 2000

> > Oh, I'm forgetting that you're using CORBA.  There are ORBit
> bindings to
> > Python (2 projects in fact).  So, maybe we can handle the GUI part
> of the
> > project and you can handle the infrustructure.
>
> I also had good luck making ORBit and Fnorb (an almost all python
> ORB implementation) talk to each other (with the stuff I did on the
> biopython project), so we shouldn't even have to wait for/develop
> python bindings for ORBit. We could start ASAP, provided Jarl is
> interested in trying to combine with us. From my quick glance at the
> GMS code, it looks like we both have a lot to offer each other, and I
> would definately be for merging the projects, if possible.
>     Hopefully we will be able to find a compromise that lets Jarl keep
> creative freedom over the goals of GMS, and lets Loci take care of
> its objectives. I think we are too close in design goals to not try
> working together for a better overall final product.

Sounds promising.. I'll try to understand the Loci sourcecode this
evening,
after which we (I?) can try some kinda merge 'pilot' to get a clear
picture
about the problems of a loci-gms marriage. I've been doing professional
porting last 2 years.. so I'll be able to see any problem quite quickly,
though
I've never used Python myself ;)

bye,
jarl