[Pipet Devel] Re: Overflow/Loci/GMS collaboration

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at geoserve.net
Tue Mar 14 17:48:26 EST 2000

jarl van katwijk wrote:

> >     I'd be more than happy to help in any way I can, which includes
> > both doing GUI/front end stuff in python and helping with the GMS
> > stuff in C. I'll probably be pretty sad in C at first, since I only
> > have C++ experience, and all I know about C is from staring at other
> > people's code, but I'm willing to work on it :)
>
> Good attitude, and C isn't hard. I've commented the gms code heavily, but
> feel free to ask, it's gonna be hard to get the global picture I guess.

Brad, providing we all agree that the core will be based on GMS and coded in
C, you will want to give GMS much of the functionality we designed for Loci:

  * XML command stream between GUI (front) and core (middle) ??? (unless we
use CORBA)
  * Network (workflow diagram) script construction (in XML database?)
  * Network script manipulation
  * Directory services (like DNS - know what is where)
  * Request/comply and send/receive communication between cores

We would need to integrate this with what GMS already has (if it does not
already have some of these).  Some of the plugin and security/authentication
issues are things Loci has not considered.

If we agreed on this, I'd be happy.  And I think if Overflow needs little work
to be integrated into this system, perhaps there are some GMS/Loci problems
Jean-Marc and Dominic could address and solve through contributed code.
Overflow is probably the most advanced (computer science-wise) of the systems,
so there is much that can be gleaned and used in a GMS-based core.  And
sharing technologies would help to tightly integrate our projects.

Thoughts?

Jarl, if Overflow were to be used as a node in a GMS/Loci core, would that
solve the authentication/security issues for you?

                      |        BIOINFORMATICS.ORG        |
                      |           The Open Lab           |