[Pipet Devel] Re: Overflow/Loci/GMS collaboration

jarl van katwijk jarl at casema.net
Thu Mar 16 02:27:14 EST 2000

> It would probably be best then to make GMS communicate directly with Overflow,
> either via the API GMS uses for all applications or via special API.  Any
> ideas?

Hi,

I dont know if that was already clear, but gms nodes have this pointer  :
gint   (*procedure)(messaging_object *MO);

Normally this procedure does 1) take care of the processing ability of the node
or 2) it wraps an external application.

2) will kill the speed Overflow introduces, but 1) can be done, we could load
overflow as a dynamic library (every application
can be turned into such easaly) and have the 'procedure pointer calling a 'entry'
function in Overflow. By 'entry' I main a function
that does NOT initialise but only executes a subnet. This way the wrapping has
very little overhead.

Futhermore there can be made an api which lets the GUI interact directly with
this subnet in order to have the full power of the small\detailed nodes Overflow
has.

bye,
jarl