[Pipet Devel] Re: which handles distribution (was: vsh?)

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at geoserve.net
Fri Mar 17 14:08:53 EST 2000

Jarl van Katwijk wrote:

> Yes surtainly does. I've proposed this before, but the overflow people
> want to keep the processing speed
> and dont want any wrapping.

This whole 'speed' issue has me confused.  If the small Overflow objects
remain 'networked' on a sigle host (none are sent through the Internet), how
can GMS affect their speed???

And if small Overflow objects are 'networked' across the Internet, IT'S THE
INTERNET THAT WILL SLOW THEM DOWN, NOT A GMS WRAPPER.  Isn't that obvious to
everone else?

> I like to see code like overflow intergrated
> into gms, but this wont be started
> soon because of the mayor priorities like XML and other that need to be
> coded.

Code *LIKE* Overflow's, fine.

You know, it's looking more to me as though both Jarl's and Jean-Marc's ideas
for connecting/merging GMS and Overflow are not incompatible.  It seems
they're two sides of the same coin.  Overflow will need GMS for
Overflow-to-Overflow (across the Internet) communication, and GMS will need
Overflow for application construction (and I think wrapping).

The point of contention here is this: WHICH COMMUNICATES *DIRECTLY* WITH THE
GUI???

As I mentioned before, I'd like to see the GUI communicate with GMS, GMS
communicate with Overflow across the Internet, and Overflow handle application
wrapping/binding and development.  So, each and every GMS node is an instance
of Overflow on the Internet, which may in many cases connect to foreign
applications running on that host.

                  +------------+
                  |  Loci GUI  |
                  +------------+