[Pipet Devel] Naming of three layers

Brad Chapman chapmanb at arches.uga.edu
Sun Mar 26 12:00:39 EST 2000

Jarl wrote:
> I propose using this labelling for the three layers
> VSH will be build from:

As you suggested, I'd be for dropping the leading dataflow (otherwise
they all seem too much alike :)

> - The DDL, or Dataflow Definitions Layer. This name will
> replace 'GUI', because it doesn't need to be graphical, it
> only needs to supply a XML document.

My only comment on this is that the DDL (or DL or whatever) is
actually made up of two sections. The first is the GUI, or text based
front that the user will interact with. The second is the 'scripting
layer' which communicates with the GUI through a streaming XML dialog.
    These are very separate entities, since the plan is that the
current Gnome UI could also be web interface or a 'natural language'
interface, running with the same 'scripting layer'.
    So we should have two different terms to describe these (although
I'm not creative enough to come up with good ones :-)

Brad