[Pipet Devel] Naming of three layers

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at geoserve.net
Sun Mar 26 17:02:02 EST 2000

Jean-Marc Valin wrote:

> > GL : Graphical layer - GUI
> > DL: Definition Layer - scripting\XML layer
> > BL: Brokering Layer - brokering
> > PL: Processing Layer - dataflow handler
>
> Fine with me! (what about Visual Layer for the GUI, it's VSH after all...)

The only trouble I had was with the names GL and DL.  I agree with Brad that
'DL' doesn't really cover the user interface and should be part of 'the core'.

But 'Graphical Layer' doesn't allow for non-graphical user interfaces, such as
web and text-based interfaces.

Jean-Marc's suggestion of 'Visual Layer' is nice, since it COULD be applied to
non-graphical interfaces.  But what about a speech-based interface?  Or a
session-recording interface?  Those certainly are not 'visual'.

I was thinking that 'Interfaces Layer' (IL) might work, but the word
'interface' does not always mean USER interface and could be confusing in the
context of VSH.  So, how about we bring back 3 letters and do this?

  UIL: User Interfaces Layer - user interfaces
  DDL: Dataflow Definition Layer - scripting\XML layer
  DBL: Dataflow Brokering Layer - brokering
  DPL: Dataflow Processing Layer - dataflow handler

(BTW, the argument that 'Dataflow' is redundant could also be applied to
'Layer' ;-))

There are also the 'foreign applications' and 'objects' to consider.  We could
add a...

  OAL: Objects and Applications Layer

                      |        BIOINFORMATICS.ORG        |
                      |           The Open Lab           |